One could make the argument that great tutors (like great leaders) are made, not born. If they are A+ tutors, they are also tested, trained, evaluated, auditioned, and cleared. They have passed background checks and completed orientations. They are forged from a combination of experience, education, and compassion.
A+ takes your student’s educational goals seriously. Before our tutors are entrusted with any student’s academic welfare, they must:
- Submit several clearances to our office. These include a criminal record check, a child abuse clearance, FBI fingerprinting records, and a driving record check.
- Provide academic transcripts. Both graduate and undergraduate are required.
- Take a practice ACT/SAT test under test conditions. A prospective tutor must achieve a score in the 90th percentile or above.
- Present a demo lesson. This gives the A+ administration an idea of the prospective tutor’s teaching style and session management skills.
- Attend a test prep training seminar. An experienced tutor conducts a complete review of test prep practices in general and A+’s policies and procedures in particular. New tutors are encouraged to ask questions and trade suggestions. Tutors make connections for future support and networking.
Support and professional development do not stop after a tutor is hired. Each new tutor is matched up with a mentor tutor while she works with her initial students. In addition, A+ holds professional development meetings for our entire staff twice a year. Topics are wide-ranging: one Saturday might be devoted to training on the new data system that ensures student records are properly tracked, while another might revolve around an exciting new assessment system. However, meetings always include breakout sessions in which tutors share best practices, review and improve curriculum, and develop a sense of camaraderie with their fellow A+ tutors.
Another advantage tutors (and students!) have at A+ is a supportive and readily available administrative team. A tutor who needs assistance always has someone to call, even after normal business hours are over. Perhaps this is one reason our educational staff tends to stay with us—many of our tutors have been with A+ for over 10 years!
In short, when A+ tutors ring your doorbell or meet you at the office, you can be sure they bring a wealth of experience and expertise with them.
At A+ Test Prep and Tutoring, our practices are based on the latest developments in educational theory and research. We have an excellent team ready to help you with standardized testing, executive functioning, or achievement in any other school subject. If you would like more information, our Client Service Directors Anne Stanley and Susan Ware are available to answer questions and provide solutions. You may reach either of them by calling A+ Test Prep and Tutoring at 215-886-9188.