Did you know that using the TI-89 is the most common reason students are dismissed from the ACT for calculator reasons?
As you can imagine, it will definitely ruin your day to be kicked out of the SAT or ACT simply because you did not bring the right calculator. It is important to be aware of the calculator policy of the test you will be taking beforehand so as to have the correct calculator on test day. Here are links to the policies of both college entrance exams:
Also, here are some general rules that you should follow with respect to calculator use on these exams:
- Calculators can be very helpful on these exams. However many problems can be solved without the use of a calculator. It is best to use a calculator judiciously. Over reliance on a calculator can be just as bad as not having one.
- Become familiar with your calculator. Once you have chosen a calculator that is permitted on the test you will be taking, use this calculator while you are preparing for the big test. You don’t want to be surprised by something different on test day.
- When using the calculator:
- Clear the display and memory before each computation.
- Key numbers in carefully
- Check the display after each entry
- Make sure to double check your calculation. You don’t want to get a question wrong because you hit the wrong key.
Good luck on the test!
Related Blog Articles:
Photo by barrowboy